Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Come Back Later: The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

Source: GoodReads First Look

Reasons for stopping: Motivation. I do not have it. Summer is so far much busier than I expected, I'm juggling online classes in the midst of alternating between interning and vacationing with my family, and I haven't even picked this up in...at least a week? Maybe more? I think, at this point, my time would be better served by moving on to briefer reads and coming back to this when I'm not quite so busy/stressed.

What I think so far: I've made it to chapter 12, page 180. I really like the blend of historical fiction (Victorian/immigrant era) and fantasy (lots of Jewish and Near Eastern folklore), and I think the historical aspects in particular are going to pick up in future chapters. The plot seems a bit slow so far - probably not helped along by my current lethargic pace of reading - but also promises to pick up more. This has the potential to be a fantastic read if I can get back to it at a better time.

No comments:

Post a Comment