Thursday, February 28, 2013

Add It to the List! 1

One of my favorite things to do while procrastinating on schoolwork is browse through books online. Generally, this results in a large number of books being added to my already-enormous wishlist on GoodReads (2790 and counting). Since such procrastination reduces my reading time left after finally finishing homework, I might as well use it to come up with other blog content.

Upcoming releases:
The Registry by Shannon Stoker (William Morrow, 6/11/13)
YA dystopia where all girls are sold as brides and all boys become soldiers

The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer (Atheneum Books, 9/3/13)
I am ridiculously excited for this sequel to The House of the Scorpion!

Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 9/17/13)
YA pre-apocalyptic novel dealing with relationships before the end times

Hideous Love: The Story of the Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein by Stephanie Hemphill (Balzer + Bray, 10/1/13)
I wasn't a huge fan of Hemphill's Your Own, Sylvia, but I do have a slight obsession with any 19th-century author of sci-fi works

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (Disney Hyperion, 12/10/13)
sort of reminds me of Across the Universe


Oldies (kind of):
The Tuner of Silences by Mia Couto (Portuguese, 2009; English, Biblioasis, 2/26/13)
"Henning Mankell Mwanito Vitalico was 11 when he saw a woman for the first time"

Sufficient Grace by Amy Espeseth (Scribe Publications, August 2012)
the characters are part of an "isolated religious community"

Flower Children by Maxine Swann (Riverhead, 2007)
I'm obsessed with hippies and similar countercultural experiences, particularly in a sociological context

The Angel Maker by Stefan Brijs (Dutch, 2005; English, Penguin, 2008)
looks delightfully gothic, a blend of horror and sci-fi

Facing East from Indian Country by Daniel K. Richter (Harvard Univ. Press, 2001)
Because being out in OK is making me miss the Southeast, and I wish it was easier to find good books on Eastern Native American history


What books have you added to your wishlist lately?

2 comments:

  1. 2,790??? Now I don't feel so bad about my almost 1,000 on Goodreads (haha)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, my wislist is awful! I can't even get time to read all the books I already own, much less the ever-expanding list of ones I want.

      Delete